Saturday, September 1, 2012

Another MMO is leaving the fold. Cost of Gaming.

Another blog I read Ancient Gaming Noob points out the fact that even while F2P model is working for some companies. City of Heroes is throwing in the towel in November. It has survived where others have failed even being assaulted by Marvel for infrigement.

This reminds me of a quote that was credited to anonymous
"Linux is only free if your time is worthless."


It is so true; I mean how many games can you think of off the top of your head. I can name probably 15 without pausing ...some are gone, some are running.

Everquest for example; I was addicted to this game. I promised myself an account for finishing my MCSE and I never stopped playing it ..every waking moment was obessed with it.

Yet, I have tried to go back and play it and I just can't it hurts me to play it now. The fond memories I have are fond because of the people I played with not because fo the game itself. Even free I cannot handle it.

I am looking forward to what is ahead for MMO's ...it kills me because the cost of the game is no longer the issue (since everything is going free to play). It is all about YOUR time.

TIME = money

I enjoy entertainment; in fact, if you were to get to see my checking account I believe you would see about 60% goes toward enterainment. Dining, groceries, movies, video games, hardware all are entertainment to me. Yet the value is in the time spend.

Movies: 3 hours = $7.50
  • I am (usually) entertained
  • Great escapism
  • Fun to attend as a group or watch solo
Dining out: 2 hours = $20.00 (x2 for 2 people)
  • Good food
  • Great Company
  • Satisfies a need (usually in abundance)
Dining in: 3 hours (I am talking about cooking, eating, clean up) = $10 (per person)
  • I enjoying fixing a meal especially with my wife. The more elaborate the more I enjoy.
  • I enjoy the eating part.
  • I hate the clean up.
Videogames: X Hours = $800
  • Hardware (just upgraded everything about $500 total)
  • Software (about $300 this year)
  • I enjoy everything about it and I spend a minimum of 1 hour a day.
So to me the cost/value lies in the time I willing to spend. Every hour of my life has a dollar amount just as your hours cost you money to ...either making it or spending it. What value do you have in entertainment? What are you willing to invest your time in?

No comments:

Post a Comment