Monday, August 27, 2012

Communications

ComOPEN:
Greetings Pilots
Today I wish to talk to you about Communications.
Sub-section: Listening
There are 5 types of people
  1. I cannot hear you.
  2. I am talking so you cannot talk.
  3. I know what my role is and it has nothing to do with communication it has to do with X.
  4. I am distracted.
  5. I am listening.
1) Not hearing is a huge problem it leads to confusion and fearful reaction. If you cannot hear you you and your team are at huge disadvantage. Other forms of comunication are necessary but slower and can cause errors.

2) BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHnoisenoisenoiseBLAHBLAHBLAH A fools does not want to learn from others. They only want to tell their own ideas.

3) This is actually worse it means you are rogue and not willing to try someone elses point of view. This can lead to disaster for you or your team.

4) Effective listening skills require focus. If you are not following the plan you could get in a whole lot of trouble.


5) When you do listen it is not just to the team the more effective a listener you are the more likely you can hear and respond to calls, fire alarms, car alarms and with less panic. As a team, you can work the plan and plan the work. If you go out on your own things can fall apart.

Many times in my job I am required to sit in on meetings that have little to nothing to do with my day to day. Oddly enough people feel better when I am there - even if I don't speak. They know I am a listener. I can take a lot of abuse and I can dish it out. I am in the process of training my 8yo the virtues of listening because his problem is he is always talking (he is a #2).

This applies to real life and gaming.
ComOUT

#MWO #teams #MechWarriorOnline #Mercs #MechWarrior #listening #communicating

No comments:

Post a Comment